Thursday 21 August 2014

Truth is Stranger than Fiction... or is it?

 


Thirty minutes late and full of excuses, I arrived at the abode of fellow author Hilary Mantelpiece. I tried to hide my guilt under a cloak of invisibility but she saw right through it.

"You're late... KJ." She was obviously not amused. "I have a very large rucksack and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Maybe I should have worn my spectacles when reading the note the owl had brought me earlier that morning - on which were written the instructions for meeting our new writing friend, Agony Christie. Luckily, if Ms Christie was dismayed by our tardiness, when we eventually arrived at our meeting place, she hid it well.

"I've booked first class," she said, indicating for us to follow her into the carriage of the train. "What do you think?"

"It looks like the sort of place where one might hear a cry emanating from one of the carriage compartments in the dead of night."

"You have such a vivid imagination, Ms Rolling Pin," scoffed Ms Mantelpiece. "And don't even think of bringing up the assassination attempt when we went to the Woman's Weekly Fiction Workshop... you know no one believes you."

The tea we drank was divine, straight from the orient and it went well with the Dangelberries I had conjured up with a flick of the wand I'd borrowed from a young wizard. We talked of commas and campervans and absent writerly friends and when Agony's husband, David Bayleaf, sometimes known as Agent G, arrived with his camera, we were thrilled.

"Make us look beautiful," I cried.

His look was scornful.
 
"I only do boats,"  he said.

 
The truth is stranger than fiction.... or is it? If you like your fiction to be well-rounded, you might like to read my friends' accounts here and here for the whole story.

 

22 comments:

  1. Another amusing tale, Wendy - what a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to meet up with blogging friends in real life... even if they are mad!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're friends look lovely, KJ and sooo talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your detective skills are second to none, Agony.

      Delete
  3. Haha! Brilliant Wendy - I believe it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, Sam. I almost believe it myself.

      Delete
  4. That KJ Rolling Pin tells a good tall story, eh, Wendy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a TV series could be made about this lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops hadn't finished. You could each write an episode and farm out a few episodes to other writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be interesting. Mine would be romance, Tracy's would be quirky flash and Patsy's would just have a lot of dead bodies!

      Delete
    2. I don't ALWAYS kill my characters!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant. I thought Patsy's account was crazy, but...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy - such a fun get together .. and lovely to meet you ... now to pop over to Tracy ... such a fun writerly time .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like my kind of afternoon! :)

    marion

    ReplyDelete