Monday 28 September 2015

The Grapes of Love


It might look as though I've been gallivanting again but... oh, okay, I have!

After an exciting week where I celebrated the completion of my first novel (you can read about it here) my seven friends and I went for a long weekend to Bordeaux. Usually we stay in England but this year we fancied some September sunshine... and that was what we got. It was glorious.

We stayed in an Airbnb apartment in the centre of the city with wonderful high ceilings with decorative cornices - but only one loo between the eight of us! Amazingly, we didn't have to resort to a rota ... but it was touch and go.

Bordeaux is a lovely city, especially in the early autumn and I particularly loved the Mirroir d' Eau (Mirror Pool). It's a giant slab of granite, covered with 2cm of water, set in front of the beautiful Place de la Bourse. The way it alternates between a mirror effect which reflects the 18 century facades of the buildings behind and a mist, is magical. No wonder it's the most photographed site in the city.

We also visited the lovely town of St Emilion and did a bit of wine tasting - well you have to don't you! 


It was a coincidence that at the same time I was touring the vineyards, my love story, The Grapes of Love, was in Take a Break Fiction Feast. The setting is a vineyard called Domaine de la Bergerie and the story takes place during during the vindage. I actually sold this story a year ago but missed the boat for last year's October magazine so they held it back a year.

'Below her, the vineyards stretched out as far as the eye could see until they reached the blue ribbon of the river in the distance. The air was filled with the musky scent of the harvest...'

I like to think that it could be describing one of the vineyards we saw.


Last week also saw the penultimate instalment of my People's Friend serial, Life at Babcock House. It's so exciting to see what illustration has been created for it. As it's about a year since I wrote the serial, I've forgotten a lot of it, so I've reading it again - this time with the eyes of a reader.


Now I'm back, I can feel some serious novel editing coming on and (surprise, surprise) I've come home with a short story idea or two.

18 comments:

  1. You have been enjoying yourself post first draft! Looking forward to hearing about the new stories & that weekend jaunt. But now you need to get some writing/editing done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked a big bowl of grapes just after reading your lovely story, Wendy. Mine were growing in the garden though.

    Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such fun. Eight different personalities... can you imagine!

      Delete
  3. sounds idyllic and great fun. grapes of love such a lovely story. felt i was there. and sad babcock manor finished - great story xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wednesday will be the last one. I'm sure I'll do another, though.

      Delete
  4. The Miroir d'Eau looks spectacular. I would love to see that. What a fantastic trip and a brilliant serial too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go in myself but my friends had a great time dancing barefoot in the mist!

      Delete
  5. Really pleased you enjoyed a well-deserved break, Wendy. A lovely part of France. I remember doing a wine-tasting tour when I first landed in Germany. Very entertaining - I can't remember the last two vineyards we visited :) Must do that again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh. Nicola. We thought we'd be given tiny plastic tasting cups so were surprised when we were handed large glasses!

      Delete
  6. A long weekend can be a real tonic, especially in such beautiful surroundings. Are we to expect more wine-based stories?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like fun, Wendy. It's always good to get away with 'the girls' (I'm assuming it was all 'girls', anyway?!). Not sure about the one bathroom between 8 but I could probably cope if it was for a SHORT TIME! I'm sure you have come back with lots of story ideas (to be written AFTER you've edited your novel, of course - I'm putting that after seeing Tracy's stern message!) Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it was all girls but we managed. I'm seeing Tracy tomorrow so I'd better get down to it.

      Delete
  8. I visited Bordeaux some years ago and thought it was a great place. Funnily enough so many people I know are going there at present, maybe it's the new hotspot! I am definitely planning to plant a grape vine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted two in our garden last year, Jenny. Will probably have to wait a while for grapes though.

      Delete
  9. Bordeaux looks wonderful, Wendy. :-)

    Trips away always inspire ideas, and you now have more stories to write before next year's trips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our group has a big birthday next year so could be quite an event!

      Delete