Sunday 1 June 2014

The RNA New Writers' Scheme - Guest Post Karen Aldous


A very warm welcome this morning to new author Karen Aldous. Karen has gone through the Romantic Novelists' Association New Writers' Scheme and as a result has just had her debut novel The Vineyard published. Karen has kindly agreed to write two blog posts for me which will be of interest to new and seasoned writers alike. Today's post will be an introduction to the scheme and the second, on Tuesday 3rd, will lead us along the path from New Writer's Scheme to Karen's eventual publication.

If you have also been on the scheme it would be lovely if you could leave a comment or feel free to ask Karen any questions.

So now it's over to you, Karen.


You’re very kind for inviting me to your lovely blog. May I just say how impressed I am at the volume and quality of content - it's very professionally presented.
I am a new author, publishing my first title The Vineyard, and I would like to tell you about the Romantic Novelist Association (RNA) New Writers Scheme (NWS).

As an introduction to those who are not familiar with it, this scheme was set up in 1962 (although it was not called NWS at this time) to encourage fresh writing talent for romance-themed writers in any genre, and has been further supported since early noughties by Dr David Hessayon whose wife, writer of historical fiction, Joan Hessayon, always supported new writers. The lovely Dr Hessayon wished to leave her legacy and so The Joan Hessayon Award was set up for any writer whose novel has been through the scheme and published with a recognised publisher.

The great thing about the scheme is that it allows unpublished novel writers to send their work for a professional critique - normally a considerable cost for most authors. You can send all, or part of your novel before the deadline date of 31st August and a professional writer will read it (for which they are paid a small fee), giving a detailed report on what the novel needs to make it as professional as possible before sending it to a publisher. Writers would be advised to get as much of their novels written as possible so that the whole work is assessed. But from joining, you have nine months to complete the work if it isn’t already started or it can be sent in at any time before, if it’s ready. The earlier you send it in, the sooner you get your report back - remember, the load gets heavier at the end of August.
At this stage, once you have submitted your work, if you are one of the lucky few whose work has impressed in its entirety, both a good story and professionally presented, then it could be forwarded for a second read and possibly recommended or, read by an editor. This is what we all dream of and, believe me, it does happen. I have met a few authors who have obviously worked hard enough to make that initial first impression. *Elaine Everest has kindly pointed out that this no longer happens*

And meeting other authors is another great benefit of joining the RNA NWS. Those on the scheme are welcomed by the RNA to take part in the majority of their events such as their annual conference, award nights and other writer events held around the country and in London. Chapter meetings (and you can go to any region) are fantastic for workshops, talks by professional authors, editors and agents on all types of subjects, whether grammar or structuring or marketing your novel, you gain so much knowledge from their expertise. Plus, you get to meet them! Yes, I’m still in awe as I meet all the lovely talented people  - they are so supportive and friendly. I cannot recommend it enough.
 
Thank you so much for this interesting post, Karen and we are all waiting with bated breath to hear how your own journey through the New Writers' Scheme led to you finding a publisher.

We look forward to reading your next post on *Tuesday 3rd June* Read it here!
 
You can visit Karen on her website, twitter or Facebook
Karen's novel, The Vineyard can be bought from Amazon, Nook, Kobo and ibookstore


The RNA website with more information about the New Writers' Scheme is here

If you have any questions regarding the RNA NWS please direct them to Melanie Hilton who is the organiser. The link can be found here
 

37 comments:

  1. As a fellow 'graduate' of the New Writers' Scheme, I couldn't agree with you more, Karen. It's been an eye-opening and fabulous experience. I look forward to seeing what you have to say on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over, Natalie. The scheme sounds fantastic for anyone wanting to write romance.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Natalie, we have been on this voyage together and, we are both proof of how the scheme can kick-start a writers career!

      Delete
  2. I had a lovely report from the NWS years ago, that motivated me to carry on writing.

    Love the cover of Karen's novel :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had been on the scheme too, Karen. It has certainly worked for you too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karen for providing further evidence of the scheme's success. And, yes, cover is lovely but, CarinaUK have to take all the credit!

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen and Wendy, thanks for a really informative post. I didn't know about the RNA's NWS and will definitely be passing on the link to this post to my writing students. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Marianne, yes do. I would encourage any would-be novel-writer to join the scheme. I hope they do well!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment, Marianne. If anyone is wondering, Marianne runs 'Writing Classes' the on-line course where I started my writing journey.

      Delete
  4. Glad the NWS proved so successful for you, Karen - your book cover looks fabulous!, wishing you best of luck with sales! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely cover, isn't it, Sam. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Sam, all the best with your writing success too! Can't wait to read your next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post and well worth sharing. Is David Hessayon the gardening fellow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's right. Our expert gardener Julia. Thanks for dropping by and, I hope many more novelists get to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really meant to apply this year, but was, ahem, not at my best on New Year's Day and missed the application period. Well there is always next year. Congrats on your publication, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should both apply together for next year, Kath - just got to write something!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kath it's a great scheme, and yes, a long time to wait if you miss that slot but I think you've put that time to good use and, kept writing. Wishing you every success!

      Delete
  9. Kate Jackson has had difficulty signing in to leave a comment and so has asked me to do it for her. Here it is:

    Great blogpost Karen and Wendy. I'm a graduate of the RNA's fantastic NWS. When I helped out with the RNA BLOG I researched and wrote a series of interviews with different people involved with the NWS, from members, the organiser and readers etc. The 5 blogposts are still there in the RNA blog archives starting 6th December 2011 and last one on 20th December 2011. There might be some useful info there to help anyone interested in the NWS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really interesting, Kate. I shall be going over to the website to look at it myself, so thank you.

      Delete
    2. Kate, I've tried to source the link but unable to find it. If you know where it is, maybe you could post it here or on the FB page. Many thanks

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming along and reading the post Patsy. Yes, so many have benefitted or been inspired by it. We are so fortunate to have the support of so many fellow writers.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to have found out more about it, Patsy.

      Delete
  11. I loved the NWS and it's such a unique opportunity for new writers to progress to novels - kept me on track too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Rosemary, thank you for adding your experience. To get a place is hard but working hard at your writing it definitely key - I also found support from RNA NWS kept my motivation going too!

      Delete
    2. I had forgotten you were part of the scheme too, Rosemary.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Wendy and Karen, lovely cover and interesting post. I entered the new talent competition in 2012 and I was amazed when I came on the shortlist. From over a hundred entries, the list was around 20, so it's given me confidence to get on with the novel, though it is hard to keep going. This is something I might consider to give me the kick up bum that's needed:))) Look forward to Tuesday's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was brilliant, Susan - you are really clever to have been shortlisted.

      Delete
    2. That was a really good achievement Susan. You must keep with it, even though it does seem like you're writing in slow motion at times!

      Delete
  13. Excellent blog post, Karen and Wendy, and congratulations, Karen! I never heard of the NWS so I really appreciate this information.
    Thanks.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, isn't Wendy's Blog Spot amazing! I'm so pleased Wendy and I have introduced you to it! I wish you every success with your writing and the NWS! More details are available on their site rna-uk.org/ under the NWS

      Delete
    2. I think there are a lot of writers (now and not so new) who may not have heard of it, Debi.

      Delete
  14. Hi Karen and Wendy, I interviewed Melanie Hilton for the RNA blog in January.
    http://romanticnovelistsassociationblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-new-writers-scheme.html
    The NWS reports no longer go for second reads.
    Doctor Hessayon is a lovely man and so generous to the those who graduate through the scheme. He recieved a special award at the RRNA RoNA awards in March, He must truly have loved is wife, Joan to comemorate her name after all the help she showed to new writers when she was with us. A true love story.
    Associate membership is only open to agents and those who work in the publishing world. It's not available for authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your contribution, Elaine - especially as you are so involved in the scheme. I look forward to reading the link you posted. Anyone reading part two of Karen's post will know what an important part you played in her writing success as well.

      Delete
    2. A BIG Thank you Elaine. Yes, and I'm still learning! Readers - As you can see, she's always behind her students as well as graduating from the scheme herself as well with Gracie's War xx

      Delete
    3. Hee Hee! You didn't mention my big stick, Karen xxx

      Delete