Friday 18 July 2014

Novel Versus Pocket Novel - Guest Post Natalie Kleinman

 

Today, I am very pleased to welcome as my guest RNA New Writers' Scheme graduate and novelist, Natalie Kleinman. Natalie has recently published her debut novel, Voyage of Desire and her Pocket Novel for The People's Friend, called After All These Years, is out in shops this week.
 
I asked Natalie if she could talk today about the differences between the two (apart from the obvious one of length).


Firstly, Natalie, could you tell my readers how long you’ve been writing?

I began writing about twelve years ago when I abandoned an Open University science degree course because it was taking up too much of my time. It didn’t take me all that long to appreciate the irony of that decision.


You have a People’s Friend pocket novel out this week called After All These Years. Could you explain to readers what a pocket novel is exactly for those who don't know?

I think a pocket novel is mainly defined by its size – up to 50,000 words. It is always centred round romance but apart from that the setting can be any place and historically any time. Whether sci-fi, crime, family or paranormal what is common to them all is that they are quick to read and leave you feeling satisfied when you reach the final page.


I’ve seen a lot of historical and medical romances as Pocket Novels - What genre does your story come under?

My first book, Voyage of Desire, is a contemporary romance, as is After All These Years and my work in progress, Heaven on Earth. I am firmly set in the present day though I enjoy historical and sci-fi, both of which are featured in my short stories.

Is this your first Pocket Novel and have you written for any for other magazines i.e. My Weekly?
This is indeed my first Pocket Novel, although Voyage of Desire isn’t much longer, at just over 52,000 words. So far I’ve only written a PN for People’s Friend.

What made you decide to write a Pocket Novel?
It wasn’t a conscious decision. As I believe is the case with many writers, I go where my story takes me. This one resolved itself to fit neatly into the pocket novel category.


Did you start out writing short stories?

I did indeed and it’s something I love doing. I am thrilled to have had two books published within such a short time and I love writing novels but I don’t think I will ever abandon the short story. It’s a joy to craft something and hone it as well as one is able in a relatively short space of time.

How long did it take you to write?
After All These Years was written over a seven month period but put to one side for a time while I was working on other things. I think the total writing time would be about four months including the first edit, and the second, and the third and…

Is there a reason why you wrote this story as a pocket novel rather than a serial?
I’ve never actually attempted a serial and while I hope many of my chapters end in a cliff-hanger I imagine it is a very different discipline. I certainly wouldn’t rule it out in the future.

You’ve recently had a novel published called Voyage of Desire. What is the main difference between writing a full novel and a Pocket Novel – other than the length!
This is a difficult one to answer as Voyage of Desire is not itself a long book. Though it is partly set on a cruise liner, all three of my books (including my work in progress) end up somewhere in The Cotswolds. It’s an area I love and enjoy writing about.

Which did you prefer writing?
This is a much easier question. I have no preference. Each book takes me over and gives me its own pleasure and satisfaction – when I’m not tearing my hair out trying to pull my characters back from where they want to go to where I want to take them. They always win!

Thank you for having me.

It's been my pleasure, Natalie. Thank you for popping over.


Natalie's debut novel, Voyage of Desire can be bought here: Amazon UK

You can visit Natalie on her Blog, Facebook or Twitter



28 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy and Natalie - As always a lovely piece! Can"t wait to read Natalie and good luck with the pocket novel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have lovely, interesting guests here, Karen!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Karen. I hope you enjoy it

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Natalie. You must be thrilled to see that first pocket novel on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over, Rena - it must be very exciting for Natalie.

      Delete
    2. And then to hold it in my hand, Rena...a wonderful feeling. Thank you for posting

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I was so excited, Rena, I nearly cleared the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on both novels, Natalie - and thank you and Wendy for a very interesting interview x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love to be in Natalie's position, Teresa... maybe one day.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Teresa. No Wi Fi for three days. Lovely to get back and find so many comments. And thanks to Wendy for asking the 'right' questions

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this, Wendy and Natalie. I liked the comment, Natalie, about going where the story takes you, which sums up the enjoyment of writing for me. Both your books sound fantastic and I love a Cotswolds setting as that's where I live. Many congratulations on your success. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A agree with that sentiment as well, Joanna. Thank you for popping by and good luck with your own book.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Joanna. My next is also set in the Cotswolds. How lucky you are to live there - wee bit of envy here. Good luck with your book

      Delete
  6. Interesting interview - thanks. Glad I'm not alone in not always knowing what it is I'm writing until I get going. One of my novels started as a short serial and I was expecting another to be a serial. It's worked the other way round too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novel I am just starting started life as a short story but now has a life of it own.

      Delete
    2. My current novel is the 'bottom drawer' one from four years ago. It demanded a change of PoV and Hero!! He said very loudly in my head "It's not him, it's ME". I've given up thinking I'm in control

      Delete
  7. Thank you Natalie and Wendy, interesting interview. One question from me: where can you buy pocket novels? I never see these in local newsagents, do WHSmiths stock them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie has just told me that you can buy Pocket Novels in most supermarkets and W H Smith.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tracy, so sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm in Fishguard at the Writers' Holiday - believe me it's not holiday but nonetheless enormous fun. Signal very patchy and I've only just been able to get on line. Hope you're successful getting a copy and even more hopeful that you enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Wendy and Natalie, for such an interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to hear about your writing experiences, Natalie - and congrats on the two novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Rosemary.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Rosemary. I can still hardly believe it

      Delete
  10. Nice interview. A pocket novel might be shorter than a conventional one, but I'm sure that there's just as much hard graft involved.

    ReplyDelete