Monday 27 October 2014

Room in Your Heart Launch Party!


Welcome to the party to celebrate the book launch of my romantic short story collection: Room in Your Heart. Let me take your coat and please take a drink from the tray. Bubbly all right?

I hope you don't mind me leaving you for a few minutes but others are arriving and I just need to let them in. Why don't you help yourself to a canapĂ© while you're waiting? They were freshly baked this morning - I bet you're impressed as you know I don't bake very often!

Right, I'm back now - hope you've been OK talking amongst yourselves but my special guest: proofreader, photographer and writing chum Tracy Fells, has just arrived with her very large ruck sack and I needed to make sure it was put somewhere out of the way. What was that? Patsy Collins has blocked the neighbour's drive with her campervan? Not a problem, the neighbours are all here anyway. Love the outfit, the colour really suits you - mind if I ask where you bought it? Thought so.

Yes of course I'll tell you something about Room in Your Heart - I'm glad you asked. It's a collection of twelve romantic short stories, all previously published in The People's Friend. Which story did I like best? Oh, that's a difficult one but I think it has to be the first story, Read These When I've gone. There's something very poignant in Rachel and Mark's shared memories of their early married life and it was one of those satisfying stories that just rolled off the keyboard.

Oh, do please excuse me, I think I heard the doorbell ring again...

Back again - sorry to break off our conversation. Let me introduce you to my People's Friend editor... I really think you should take off that bobble hat, Alan, you'll get awfully hot in here with all these people. No, I'm sorry, Susan, bribing him with a glass of red wine will not guarantee a sale - even if it is a particularly good Burgundy. It's a shame Shirley couldn't make it but I'd like you all to raise a glass to her in her absence.

Ooh, I might be getting a bit tipsy, but I think I could be forgiven as this is the publication of my first book.

Ah good, Sally Jenkins has arrived. You really must meet her - if it wasn't for her book: Kindle Direct Publishing for Absolute Beginners, Room in Your Heart would probably still be floating around in cyberspace! What was that, Sally? You want commission? Sorry, but until someone buys Room in Your Heart, you'll have to make do with a sausage roll.

Let me take you over to meet some other very important guests - Marianne Wheelaghan, who runs the writing class where it all began, and two of my creative writing teachers, Natalie Scott and Ann Hamilton. Who's this lovely young woman? Oh, it's Sarah Hughes my cover designer - I know it's fab, isn't it! Next week Sarah will be special guest on my blog, so don't miss it if you want to know more about the work of an illustrator.

Do help yourself to a petit four - quick before Alan eats them all! While you're eating, I'll give you a little taster of Read These When I've Gone, the first story in the collection.

Rachel is sitting in the corner of the restaurant by the window, staring out at something I can’t see. Although still only dusk outside, the waiter has lit the candle and I look to see if its light catches the diamond in her engagement ring before remembering she won’t be wearing one – or her wedding band. The menu is open in front of her but I can see she is not reading it; instead she is staring at the reflections in the window.

You'd like to find out what happens? Well, you're in luck as Room in your Heart can be bought here!

Just going to put on some music. Must leave you for a moment to grab my husband for a dance... did you know we met at a dance class? Well that's another story (one that will be told in an article I wrote for The People's Friend). Anyway, without him, this book wouldn't have even got as far as cyberspace - it would still be sitting on my laptop waiting for someone clever to turn it into a book!

Thank you so much for coming to my launch party. If you buy and enjoy, Room in Your Heart, please consider leaving a review on Amazon... I'd be really grateful.

But enough about me, I'm monopolising the conversation, what about you? The story collection is all about love so how about telling me the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you.

Now for my Gwyneth Paltrow moment. Room in Your Heart is dedicated to all the special people who made it possible:

My lovely husband, proof reader and technical wizard, Ian.
Marianne, Natalie and Ann from Writing Classes
Illustrator Sarah Hughes
Shirley and Alan from The People's Friend
Tracy fells at The Literary Pig
Sally Jenkins' Kindle Direct Publishing for Absolute Beginners



 

84 comments:

  1. Just popping in early to say congratulations and good luck with the book. The cover is gorgeous and will tempt people in to read your lovely stories.

    I will try to get back later for a drink (if there's any left). Have a lovely day, Wendy and many many congratulations :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to arrive in time to help me set up, Teresa. Do please pop in later - I shall save some bubbly for you.

      Delete
  2. Popping by to say congratulations and good luck with the book Wendy. Rushing off now but will try to stop by later.
    Have a wonderful day, sounds to have got off to a tremendous start anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - we'll have a chat later and I'll save some sausage rolls for you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy, brilliant title and cover, congratulations! Love it! Have just bought it and so looking forward to snuggling up by fire and reading the stories :) A big thanks for mentioning writingclasses.co.uk. You are proof that writing courses can and do make a difference! PS: Thanks for the bubbly, which is my party drink of choice, oops, looks like its time for a top up! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for buying it, Marianne and hope you enjoy it. Your creative writing classes steered me in the right direction so let's open another bottle... cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and "bestest" of luck, Wendy.
    I'll just help myself to a petit four if that's all right and I'll try to pop back later xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in Pat - do help yourself to another drink before you go and look foreRd to seeing you later.

      Delete
  6. Hearty congratulations. Hope it all goes well with the book. great cover btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely party and lovely book cover. Wishing you lots of luck with it. Novel next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the party - the novel us coming along very slowly!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Wendy!! Thank you for inviting us to share this wonderful occasion. I love the cover! You just made a sale from amazon.de. Wishing you every success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being my first European sake, Nicola.

      Delete
  9. This looks such a beautiful book, Wendy - many heartfelt congratulations! I'm certain it will be a huge success. I am looking forward to reading it and I know my mother will love it too.

    Enjoy every moment of your very special day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you, Joanna - I hope both you and your mother enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  10. Many congratulations, Wendy! Just popping in to say hello before planting up the winter containers. I'll have to skip the canapes, I'm afraid, as I'm on a diet - :-( - but I wouldn't say no to a glass of bubbly later. Glad to see the party's going with a swing. Hope everyone has a good time and you sell lots of copies.

    Rebecca Holmes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some low fat options over on the other table, Rebecca. I'm sure your winter containers will look beautiful.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on the launch of your short stories, Wendy and thank you for the delicious canapés! I'm looking forward to reading your lovely stories. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for joining me today. Rosemary - it wouldn't have been the same without you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on the launch, Wendy. I always enjoy reading your stories - hope all goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy my stories, Niddy and thanks for coming to the party.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations Wendy and thanks for the invite. Hope you get lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining us, Maggie - I hope so too!

      Delete
  15. Shirley Blair, People's Friend27 October 2014 at 14:13

    Phew, made it! Sorry I'm late... Now if I can just squeeze past Alan to snaffle a vol-au-vent or two....Love those cheesy ones. A glass of red? Oh, don't mind if I do, thanks, Wendy. Thanks so much for the invitations. You can tell how chuffed Alan is by the fact that he's wearing his best bobble hat specially! All best luck with the book.Great stories! - Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great you could join us, Shirley - hope the flight from Dundee wasn't too bumpy. Don't worry about the vol-au-vents - there are plenty more (I'll try and bring them out without Alan seeing). I made them from one of The People's Friend recipes. Enjoy the rest of the party!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations, Wendy. Love the cover. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. Sarah will be talking about creating it next week on my blog.

      Delete
  17. Thank you for the invite Wendy. My there's quite a crowd. Hope you have something veggie I can eat too much wine may go to my head. Congratulations on the book, I look forward to reading. Your stories are amazing in PF I always look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sweet of you to say, Paula - I shall pour you an extra large glass of wine!

      Delete
  18. Sorry I can't stay longer, but I'm double-parked. Many congrats, dahling. Ciao for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Patsy's campervan that's causing the chaos. Mwa..mwa

      Delete
  19. Just popped back to say bought the book Wendy and so looking forward to reading it. A glass of bubbly? Oooh - don't mind if I do :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That deserves a celebratory drink, Sue - I'll just open another bottle... cheers!

      Delete
  20. Hick ... any chance of more bubbly, Wendy? Brill party. Hmm, do you think I can sneak home some left overs in the rucksack? Hope LitPig didn't make a pig of himself with the petit fours, but he did look cute in Alan's bobble hat. Good luck with the collection - it's full of wonderful stories and deserves to do well.
    Best wishes from me and LitPig xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I am going to have to keep an eye on both you and LitPig this evening. His rendition of YMCA was quite cute, I suppose, but he kept getting his trotters caught in the shag-pile. Oh, and please tell him to give back Alan's hat - Shirley told me it's his favourite.

      Delete
  21. Ah, sorry about the van, but you're so popular I couldn't find anywhere better to leave it. Now romantic moment ... hmm, well as we're talking about the van and we had our honeymoon in it ... noooo don't worry, I was just going to mention Gary taking a photograph of the sunset. You know what he's like - only takes pictures of important subjects and/or ships well there wasn't a ship and it wasn't a very impressive sunset, but to him it was important as it was the first he shared with his wife. Aaaaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was kind of you to bring Sally and Emma with you in the van - I notice you all arrived at the same time. Is there a reason you left Gary behind? Oh, he's found another sunset to photograph... never mind - all the more bubbly for us!

      Delete
  22. What a great party, Wendy - you'll have to invite us all round more often! Thank you for including me in the dedication - I've gone all warm and fuzzy inside, or is that the wine? Now I'll just have another petit four and then I'll be over to Amazon to nose around ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something you like, Sally. Thanks for coming but I'd advise you not to go back with Patsy - she's had a few!

      Delete
  23. Congratulations, Wendy! I love your stories, and the book cover looks great. Will add this to my reading list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, Emma. Do stay for a while, we're just about to start the party games.

      Delete
  24. Congratulations on the new book, Wendy- love the cover, and it's on my to buy list.

    Fun party. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, Carol! Glad you could make it to the party.

      Delete
  25. Sorry I'm late... I've been reading! Lovely book - hope to finish it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to arrive at a party, Helen - glad you're enjoying the book. Help yourself to a drink and some nibbles. Sorry it's rather squashed in here - some people just won't leave.

      Delete
    2. *elbows Carol and sallyjenkins out of the way*

      Oh, Patsy's here too. That's all the cake gone.

      Delete
    3. Just can't get rid of her, Helen. She's been here since nine - says she wants to play pin the tail on the editor now.

      Delete
  26. hiya, great post, love the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you've come in disguise - I forgot to say it wasn't fancy dress! Help yourself to a drink and enjoy the fun!

      Delete
  27. Congratulations on the launch of your book, Wendy. I hope it does really well. xx Francesca Burgess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francesca - glad you could make it.

      Delete
  28. Wendy, sooo sorry I'm late for the party but I've had a writing day today, all day (10am - 7pm!!) at my house. I'm shattered so, thank you, even though it's a Monday, don't mind if I do. Any pinot grigio blush going?! Cheers! Many congratulations on your first e-book, which I have just bought and I'm looking forward to reading! Sorry to have missed some of my friends at the party - Sally, my writing buddy, for one! Oh, hold on a minute.. whose are those feet sticking out from under the table..!? Taxi for Sally..>!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got here, Helen - thought you weren't coming! I think Sally may have got in with some bad company (I think you know who I mean)

      Delete
  29. Wendy, thosh neighbosh osh yoursh won't mind ush camping oover their drivewaysh, will they? It'sh jusht that thish bubbly ish sho nish ...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry I joined the party a bit late - glad there were still a few nibbles and a smidge of bubbly left! Congratulations on the book and its party! Can't think of a romantic thing - so I had to make them up and put them in a novel! Although I did get taken out for dinner at the Ritz many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ritz is fabulous, Lindsay - makes this place look a bit shabby.

      Delete
  31. Wendy, I am loving this party. The nibbles, the quality booze, the great stories, but most of all because I am one of only a few men in a room full of women who love romance! Wishing you all the best, Ben Adams

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wendy - congratulations - have downloaded and look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Alan Spink, People's Friend28 October 2014 at 09:21

    Ah, always the last to leave! It was a great party, Wendy - from what I can remember. Delighted for you and wishing you great success with Room In Your Heart. Great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  34. There's always one who doesn't want to leave, Alan! Shouldn't you be at your desk editing? Seeing as you're still here, you can help clear up :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry to have missed the party but many congratulations. It sounds a great read and I have added it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great- thank you Anne. Have a glass of bubbly anyway.

      Delete
  36. Good luck with the book, Wendy, and any sausage rolls left? Everyone has said, love the cover, and so do I. Look forward to hearing from the designer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved one for you, Susan as I knew you'd ask. Thanks for coming to the party.

      Delete
  37. I'm rather late fort the party, but I'll eat any leftovers! Very good luck with the book, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late for a party, Frances - it's turning into a two day event!

      Delete
  38. Sorry I missed this but belated congratulations. Sure it will do well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, you can clear the glasses for me, Linda!

      Delete
  39. Looks like you had a fab day yesterday. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sorry I'm late. Is the party still going? Any wine left?
    Congratulations, Wendy. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on day two, Keith - have a glass if red.

      Delete
  41. I'm even later than Keith, sorry, Wendy. Have been away but just wanted to pop in and add my congratulations. The book looks fantastic - good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you made it, Jan better late than never as they say.

      Delete
  42. Hi Wendy, sounds like you had a lovely party with lots of fabulous people! I've just downloaded your book and am sure it will be an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete